Saturday, September 17, 2011

Horror Hootenanny Interview Series - SCARY LARRY aka DR. GANGRENE from SPOOKHAND

Who the hell are ya and what is your job in the band (details)?
Scary Larry aka Dr. Gangrene, Nashville Horror Host. I sing, scream, and mutilate innocent bystanders.

What did you do musically before SPOOKHAND?
A few side projects with Jeano from the Cruds, but this is my first official band.

What are your favorite/most influential bands?
Alice Cooper, the Ramones, the Cramps, Dio among many others.

What are your favorite/most influential horror flicks?
Everything from classic Universal monster movies to grade Z horror films. I love them all and watch them year long. I’m particularly partial to anything with Vincent Price in it.

What movie scared you the most?
As a kid Salem’s Lot scared me. I remember watching it alone on a little black and white TV in my bedroom. Barlow is one scary vampire! The scene in War of the Worlds where the preacher gets zapped freaked me out, too, although I can’t imagine why nowadays.

Most overrated Horror movie?
Anything by Wes Craven. SO overrated. And Rocky Horror Picture Show. Gag. That thing is so overdone and the second half of it is just horrible.

Who is the biggest celebrity you have ever met?
I’ve met and interviewed many horror celebs over the years - Forrest J. Ackerman, George Romero - Interviewing the stars of Creature from the Black Lagoon, Ben Chapman, Ricou Browning, and Julie Adams was pretty awesome. Little did I realize as a kid watching those films that I’d one day be interviewing them!

What Spookhand song is your favorite to play live?
Probably Vader. I love singing about that Sci-fi villain and feeding my inner nerd.

What is one cool thing the kids may not know about SPOOKHAND?
The name came from a nightmare one of my kids had. My wife and I got him calmed down and afterwards asked him what was wrong. he said "A spook hand is waving to me from out of the closet." CREEPY!

.........................................................................................................

And there you have it folks.. Dr Gangrene speaks! Didn't know The Doc wasn't Rocky Horror fan. We'll have a discussion about that in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment